Monday, February 23, 2009

Pear Cinnamon Syrup

I am doing this mostly so that I can have a record of this recipe because I have to refigure it each year and I want to get rid of one extra piece of paper laying around the house. It was written down on a scratch paper so it can easily be thrown away. Plus, there are few others - won't mention any names - that have the same problem I do of not remembering what we had done the year before. So this is for their benefit also. This is a good use for over ripe pears.

Pear Cinnamon Syrup

20 cups pear juice (15 lbs whole pears)
15 cups sugar
1 cup corn syrup
3/4 cup red hots

Wash pears and cut them in quarters, you only need to get rid of the stem. Put in steam juicer and juice for 90 minutes. The time starts after it is all steamed up. Mix with the rest of ingredients and heat until candy and sugar are dissolved. If you would like to simmer it longer you will have thicker syrup, but less syrup. Process in water bath for 15 minutes for quarts.

Yields: 7 quarts of syrup

1 lb fruit = 1-2 cups juice

You can add more red hots if you like your syrup with a little more cinnamon taste.

The young women that helped me make this last year has found a new use for this syrup. She adds it to Wassail. I got my first taste of the Wassail yesterday, it was yummy - or as her Grandma put it - divine.

Now the next trick is to remember that when I need the recipe to look on the blog to find
it. :)

No comments: