Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Boston Cream Pie

This is one of my favorite desserts, one which I'm surprised at the number of people who have never tried it. It's actually quite easy, too.

photo courtesy of google and, apparently, this blog. Sorry, I forgot to take a picture of my own.

Ingredients:
  • 3 eggs, separated
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 cup sugar, divided
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 3/4 c. cake flour
  • 1 package (2 3/4 or 3 oz.) vanilla pudding mix (I use instant)
  • 1 1/2 c. milk
  • 3 Tbsp. light corn syrup
  • 2 Tbsp. water
  • 4 squares (4 oz.) semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped.
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Line a 9-inch round cake pan with waxed paper.
  3. Beat egg yolks and vanilla on medium speed until blended. Beat in 1/4 cup sugar until very thick and pale.
  4. Using clean, dry beaters, beat egg whites and salt with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1/4 cup sugar until stiff peaks form. (I use my KitchenAid for this step, and actually start it first. I let it run while I'm beating the yolk mixture with a hand mixer.)
  5. Fold yolk mixture into the whites.
  6. Sift flour over mixture. (If you don't have a sifter, use a fine-hole strainer. That's what I have and it works great.) Fold in gently. Do not overmix.
  7. Pour batter into pan.
  8. Bake until cake springs back when gently pressed, about 25 mins. (In my gas stove I bake it at just under 350 for 23 mins.) Be careful—the bottom will brown faster than the top, so don't overbake!
  9. Remove cake and place right-side-up on wire rack. Cool completely.
  10. While the cake is baking, combine pudding mix and milk in a saucepan and cook following package directions. (Instant pudding works just as well and doesn't require cooking.) Transfer to a shallow bowl; press plastic wrap on surface and refrigerate 30 minutes.
  11. Cut cake horizontally in half. Place bottom half on serving plate. Spread evenly with pudding. Place remaining half on top.
  12. Bring remaining sugar (1/2 cup), corn syrup and water to a boil in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. (Warning: it takes 20-30 minutes (at least on my stovetop) for the frosting to come to a boil. I usually start it soon after I pull the cake out of the oven and let it cook while the cake cools. Also, If you turn up the heat for the frosting to cook faster, the frosting doesn't set up right and you end up with a pile of goo around the cake. Not nearly as good.)
  13. Remove from heat and add chocolate. Let stand for one minute. Whisk until smooth.
  14. Gradually pour over cake. Let stand until glaze sets. Note: the frosting will spill over the sides and you will have a slight pool around the cake.

Recipe based off one from Easy to Bake; Easy to Make.

No comments: