Spinach and carrots in brownies? Sounds gross, but is remarkably good!
- 3 oz. semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 c. carrot puree
- 1/2 c. spinach puree
- 1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 T. trans-fat-free soft tub margarine spread
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 large egg whites
- 3/4 c. oat flour or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350
- Spray an 8x8 baking pan with cooking spray
- Melt the chocolate in double boiler, over low flame, or in microwave (according to package directions)
- In a large (deep) bowl, combine the melted chocolate, vegetable purees, sugar, cocoa, margarine and vanilla. Whisk 1-2 mins, or until smooth and creamy.
- Whisk in egg whites
- Stir in flour, baking powder and salt with a wooden spoon.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake 35-40 mins, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cook completely before cutting.