Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Stroganoff Stromboli

I had made some bread and was in much need of a meal for supper. I was at a loss, until I saw a zucchini on the cupboard and an unmolded loaf of bread dough. My first thought was Stromboli but what to put in it - that was the million dollar question. I didn't have the typical pizza toppings that Stromboli usually calls for so I had to improvise and make up my own recipe.

Stroganoff Stromboli
1 loaf of uncooked bread dough
1 lb hamburger, cooked
1/2-3/4 cup onion, coarsely chopped
2 cups cubed zucchini
2 cloves garlic
1 can cream soup
1/3 - 1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 lb grated cheese
lemon pepper to taste
egg white (optional)
sesame seeds or poppy seeds (optional)

Roll out dough to fit a cookie sheet, set aside. Cook hamburger, drain grease and add zucchini, onion, garlic, sour cream and lemon pepper. Put half of the grated cheese on rolled out dough, layer with hamburger mixture, then add rest of cheese. Leave enough dough on one side to fold over top, put the mixture to the edge of the other side of the dough. Roll up dough and mixture from the side that has the mixture to the edge. When all rolled up, carefully roll whole loaf over until seam is on the bottom. Make 1/8 inch slits on top. Paint gently whipped egg whites on top and sprinkle with sesame seeds or poppy seeds. This last step is optional. I thought of it after it was already in the oven and wished I would have done it.

Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes. Let sit for 10-15 minutes before serving. Makes about 7-8 servings, depending on the thickness of the slice.

Family Ranking: 8.8 (5 people voted) I guess that means we will make it again.

No comments: